Forums

App crashing on iPhone 6 iOS 12.4.2

1. abhishekaditeya
    Oct 10, 2019, 6:52 PM

The Wordpress iPhone app is not loading on iPhone 6(iOS12.4.2). This issue has been from previous update, I was hoping for the new update that it would be fixed in the new update but it wasn’t. For your information I have tried rebooting my iPhone several times and also I have tried deleting and installing the app again.
    The problem persists.
    The app doesn’t proceed further the “Wordpress Logo” and shuts down automatically.

2. Hey there,

Thanks for using the WordPress mobile app and sharing what you've tried so far.

How much available space is on the device? You can check this at Settings > General > iPhone storage

How many apps are open concurrently? If you double tap the home button it will show your most recently used apps and you can swipe up on an app's preview to close the app.

3. Hey there! I help test the apps and track the biggest issues and we're tracking a crash on startup issue right now at https://github.com/wordpress-mobile/WordPress-iOS/issues/12338

In the cases we've been able to get feedback from users about so far, you are the first one to mention the logo screen as the last screen before the crash. Others may just not have mentioned that detail though. In some cases, people reported that completely deleting and reinstalling the app fixed the problem for them, but I see that you already mentioned you already tried that route.

Rudy's questions are a really good place to start troubleshooting for an older device which you mentioned you have. I test every release with an iPhone 6S and I've been running the WordPress app on it for the past several weeks and it's been completely usable. I was able to get it to crash once in testing, but I'm still not sure of the exact cause and this type of crash is proving tough to get extra info about because it's crashing before you can check out the logs! I test with it ALOT so one crash on startup isn't huge for the amount I use it. Also, reinstalling fixed the problem in my test case.

Do you happen to recall if the crashing started happening for you right after updating to iOS 12.4.2??

What version of the app are you running? Is that info you can get at? You might be able to see that detail if you look up WordPress in the App Store.

Past that, I don't know what else we can ask to try to get more info about this problem. The troubleshooting we've been doing internally has been making a backup on iTunes and pulling out the database. It's a bit involved, so I wouldn't typically ask for that from someone reporting the problem (you'd have to get way into it and it's a big ask). What I can tell you is that i's an important issue that we are aware of and actively working on.

4. abhishekaditeya
    Oct 11, 2019, 3:39 AM

The problem was also there on iOS 12.4 I thought there might be some problem with the new update of iOS. I waited for the next update of iOS. Even after iOS 12.4.2 the app was crashing at startup. I had installed Wordpress 13.2.3 and I waited for the next update(13.3) hoping that it would be fixed but it didn’t.

5. I see. Well, this definitely should not be happening but I haven't been able to replicate it reliably so far.

Since in your case completely deleting then reinstalling the app is not working—your case may have a different cause compared to the other reports in https://github.com/wordpress-mobile/WordPress-iOS/issues/12338

I've got eyes on this issue, but need more data to proceed. If you spot any other potential problems such as you have a very low amount of free space on the device or you have a large number of apps open concurrently, please let me know. (You probably don't have problems with those things but it's the last thing I can think of to check for this case at the moment.)

Even though you've already tried it once, please consider completely deleting and reinstalling from the App Store again now that 13.3 has come out (it sounded from your last reply that you updated without reinstalling at that point before).

6. abhishekaditeya
    Oct 12, 2019, 5:41 PM

I have a lot of free space. And I have tried opening this app after closing all the apps in background.
    I have deleted and Installed the app again as well. Nothing works.
    Please fix this issue or can you somehow provide me a way to install the older version of this app?

7. abhishekaditeya
    Oct 12, 2019, 5:55 PM

Here’s the link to the video that shows the problem I have been facing
    https://youtu.be/S4w_hzhAwiA

Leave a Reply

You must log in to post.

About this Topic