Solved: Couldn't sync posts Received 'Internal Server Error.'
Okay, with vacation about to kick off in a week I was desperate to fix the IOS issue that we have all come to love know as the dreaded "Couldn't sync posts Received 'Internal Server Error.'" This started with the 3.0.0 update and had rendered one of my blog DOA when posting from my iPhone or my iPad.
After looking into this and not finding much. Or should I say too much. I host on Blue Host and have 5 blogs going. Since it is a shared host I get errors from all the blogs in one big server log. Not very easy to nail down just one error.
Today for some reason I decided to just disable all my plugins and see if the issue went away. Sure enough it did. Okay, I know it is a plugin issue. I started activating them in groups of 5 and eventually I found out that the plugin that was causing WordPress for iOS to fail was a plugin called 'Wordfence Security'.
I wonder how many of the others have this plugin installed that are having this same issue?
The really odd thing is that I have the Wordfence Security plugin installed on all of my blogs. It is only one of them that doesn't work with WP iOS. This is the error blow that seems to blow up WP for iOS on my site....
[04-Jul-2012 10:53:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Class 'wordfence' not found in /home1/husarus/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordfence/lib/wfUtils.php on line 155
So if you have the 'Couldn't sync posts' issue deactivate all plugins and try to access your site via your iOS device. Then start activating the plugins in groups and eventually find the plugin that is causing the issue.
I will do more work trouble shooting and try to fix this issue so I can still use the WordFence plugin and post back here.
Hi :) sounds good.. But i have no idea how to find the settings for plugins or What it is.. Can you tell me?
I'm having exactly the same problem! Well apart from the fact that it wasn't Wordfence - it was Digg Digg that was making it not work. Now it seems to be another plugin but I can't be bothered to find out which one (i think it is Addthis).
It's strange - because as you say - I have 3 to 4 subdomains, all running Wordpress on my Bluehost domain.
This is the only one with the problem - and I got exactly the same kind of errors. These ones caused by Jetpack - which I've now disabled entirely.
Is it something to do with it being a subdomain do you think?
Oh wow - I think I might have just cracked it.
I applied the changes on the video settings post to my PHP.ini file on my main domain - and it seems to have solved the problem!
So go through the php.ini file and fix update the following to these settings:
max_execution_time = 120
memory_limit = 128M
upload_max_filesize = 128M
post_max_size = 128M
It's seems to have solved all the problems!
I spoke with Bluehost.com's Support and this worked for me:
Your php.ini file limits the amount of memory a process can use to prevent performance problems on your site. This error is caused by a process trying to exceed that limit.
To raise the limit, follow these steps.
1. Log into http://www.Bluehost.com.
2. Click on File Manager and choose Web Root.
3. Navigate to the directory your program uses for it's php.ini. This is generally the public_html directory, which should already be open.
4. Right click on the php.ini file and select Code Edit.
5. Go to line 232 and raise the value. If you've customized your php.ini file memory_limit may not be on line 232. In that case you may need to run a search for memory_limit using ctrl+f.
By default your memory limit is 32 MB. Generally you don't want to go higher than 64MB.
If needed you can set your entire account to use the php.ini file in your public_html directory for all php.ini calls. This is done with the PHP Config tool in your cPanel by choosing the PHP5 (Single php.ini) option.
This is most often done when the memory error doesn't clear after raising the value.
Finally it may still be necessary to copy the php.ini file into the folder your script is stored in or it's administration/configuration folder. You'll need to consult the script's documentation to find the needed location.
This has nothIng to do with the memory. At leased it doesn't in my case. I did the php.ini upday about a month ago. Mine is at 256MB. More than what should be needed.
The issue is that WP dies when some plugins have an error. I can turn off the Wordfence plugin and the app works. Wordfence, had the same error before the app went above 3.0.0 and it worked.
So this has nothing to do with the memory set in the pho.ini. It is not one plugin either as someone stated above.
hint here - install the P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) plugin. I was seeing resource drain by Wordfence that ranged from 25% to 48% resource drain will the plugin was doing nothing, no scanning, just installed - it is a memory hog and a resource hog. Seriously 1 plugin using up half of your resources - come on please. With help like that who needs hackers to hack your website - Wordfence will take it down for you. Junk.
Sorry for my inappropriate rant here. Wordfence is obviously not really a Junk Plugin. It does need some work on the ongoing memory issues, but it looks like a very promising security plugin. I was just irritated with myself for spending excessive troubleshooting time on a problem and did not think of checking for memory issues. I apologize for my childish rant. Thanks.
Leave a Reply
You must log in to post.